2019 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Collegial family-like culture and talented coworkers”
“High level of responsibility as an analyst—you’ll get more responsibility right away than you would at most other firms”
“Great deal flow, great transactions”
“Not a well recognized brand name”
“Changes that come along with growth”
“Strong consumer group”
About PJ SOLOMON
Peter J. Solomon opened his eponymous Manhattan-based firm in 1989. Before striking out on his own, the Harvard-educated Solomon had spent many years at Lehman Brothers. With his new firm, Solomon built one of the most well respected investment banking boutiques on the Street. And in June 2016, the firm successfully joined forces with Natixis, the international corporate, investment, insurance and financial services arm of Groupe BPCE based in France which had taken a 51percent stake in PJ SOLOMON. The remaining 49 percent stayed in PJ SOLOMON’s partners’ hands.
Today, the firm’s upper management includes the founding chairman, Peter J. Solomon; Marc S. Cooper, CEO; Kenneth D. Baronoff, managing director and COO; 19 managing directors; and 10 senior advisers.
PJ SOLOMON offers strategic and financial advice to owners, chief executives, senior management, and boards of directors of public and private companies. Recently, PJSC added three new verticals: Energy Advisory Group, which served as financial advisor to PDC Energy in connection with the company’s divestiture of its Utica assets and is primarily based in PJ SOLOMON’s Houston, Tex. office; Food Retail & Restaurants; Consumer Retail; and Infrastructure, which includes Power and Renewables. The firm has been extremely active in these new verticals, with its Food Retail & Restaurants practice representing Central Grocers and Apollo on its acquisition of QDOBA, and its Infrastructure practice representing Ports America Group on debt refinancing for $1.3 billion. The firm’s Technology, Media & Telecommunications practice is an active presence in the digital out-of-home space and recently added a partner in Industrial Technology.
PJ SOLOMON also continues to provide retail expertise through its Global Retail practice, and has a growing presence, in some measure through Natixis, in the financing sector (for example, the firm served as financial advisor to Groupe Rocher on its pending acquisition of Arbonne International, a cross border collaboration. Since its founding, PJ SOLOMON has completed more than 600 advisory assignments worth more than $200billion.
Business at PJ SOLOMON is divided into five primary divisions: mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and recapitalizations, financing advisory, the special committee practice (which provides counsel to corporate boards and renders fairness opinions), and activist defense. Its family business advisory practice continues, and don’t mistake this for something out of Norman Rockwell; PJ SOLOMON advises families like the Fortunoffs, the Comers (who owned retail giant Lands’ End), the Rabbs (former owners of the Stop & Shop grocery chain), and the Wylys (who owned the Michaels craft supply stores and entered into a $5.6 billion leveraged buyout agreement with Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group).
PJ SOLOMON is a well-known powerhouse in retail deals—it advised on Office Depot’s merger with Office Max and Phillips-Van Heusen’s (PVH) acquisitions of Warnaco Group and Tommy Hilfiger. The firm continues to advise PVH, and more recently, its clients have also included the Finish Line, Flight Club, Rag and Bone, Skullcandy, Chico’s FAS, Sunsetter, TJX, Radio Shack, DSW, Key Foods, the London Stock Exchange, American Apparel, Under Armour, SoulCycle, SiriusXM, and American Greetings. In addition, PJ SOLOMON’s media group, including its practice in the digital out-of-home space, has been busy recently, representing Hal Leonard, Starplex Cinemas, Searchlight Capital Partners, Christie’s International, Patient Point, Rockbridge Growth Equity (on its Joint Venture with VeriFone), CBS Outdoor, and AMI Entertainment.
The firm also has a strong restructuring practice, which recently advised, with the energy group, the equity committee of Ultra Petroleum; Quiksilver; The Dolan Company, a creditor group of Energy Future Holdings (formerly known as TXU); and Overseas Shipholding Group.
1345 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10105
Phone: (212) 508-1600
Employer Type: Private
Founder & Chairman: Peter J. Solomon
Chief Executive Officer: Marc S. Cooper
2018 Employees (All Locations): 110
New York, NY