Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP has nearly 1,000 lawyers across nine domestic and four international offices. In its largest offices, the firm has 400+ lawyers in Washington, DC, 300+ lawyers in New York, and 150+ lawyers in three California offices (Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley). In addition, the firm has domestic offices in Chicago, Denver, and Houston; and international offices in Brussels, Frankfurt, London, and Shanghai.
Client-driven and industry-focused, our lawyers practice across 30+ practice areas, including antitrust, bankruptcy, corporate and finance, environmental, intellectual property, litigation, real estate, and tax, to help clients with complex needs stay ahead of the global market, anticipate opportunities, and address issues that impact their businesses. Our global reach, experience, and deep knowledge allow us to work across geographic, cultural, technological, and ideological borders to offer clients forward-looking, results-oriented solutions that resolve their US, international, and cross-border legal needs.
Our core values of excellence in the practice of law; adherence to the highest standards of ethics and professionalism; appreciation and respect for diversity among our colleagues; and a deep commitment to public service and pro bono guide our approach to work, our clients, and each other. Building on a strong history of government service, we have 80+ attorneys who have held senior positions in US and European governments and international organizations. These longstanding traditions continue to define our firm to this day. Click here to learn more about our history.
We offer sophisticated litigation and transactional capabilities, renowned regulatory experience, and market-leading multidisciplinary practices in the life sciences and financial services industries. As a result, 133 Fortune 250 companies have chosen Arnold & Porter as outside counsel, including notable clients such as Adobe, Google, Hershey, Novartis, Pfizer, Samsung, Visa, Louis Vuitton, and David Yurman.
- Vault ranked the firm one of the best for antitrust, environmental law, products liability, appellate litigation, and general commercial litigation.
- The 2020 edition of Best Lawyers recognized 103 of the firm’s attorneys and named five “Lawyers of the Year”.
- The National Law Journal named Arnold & Porter to its Appellate Hot List.
- BTI Consulting Group named Arnold & Porter to its 2019 list of “Peak Performing Law Firms” and six attorneys to its 2019 list of “Client Service All-Stars”.
- The 2019 edition of Chambers USA named Arnold & Porter as a “Leading Firm” in 48 practice areas; 95 attorneys were ranked as “Leading Individuals”.
Commitment. Excellence. Innovation. If these three words, and the values they represent, resonate with you, you'll fit right in at Arnold & Porter.
Pro Bono: Arnold & Porter has one of the world’s leading law firm pro bono programs. Our pro bono commitment is key to who we are and is the reason why many of our attorneys have made their professional homes here. We encourage all attorneys to work on at least one pro bono matter every year, and to devote up to 15% of their total hours to pro bono legal work. In 2019, our attorneys devoted 115,349 hours to a wide range of pro bono work. We’ve been widely recognized for that commitment, including being named “Firm of the Year” by Tahirih Justice Center, included in the National Law Journal's 2018 Pro Bono Hot List, and ranked 18thin the US and 8thinternationally in The American Lawyer’s 2018 Pro Bono Report.
Significant cases include a successful challenge to Pennsylvania’s voter ID statute; reaching a landmark settlement with the Federal Bureau of Prisons requiring appropriate medical treatment for mentally ill prisoners at Colorado’s “Supermax” prison; and litigation that forced a New Jersey township to allow construction of a mosque that had been blocked due to anti-Muslim sentiment.
Diversity and Inclusion: The firm is committed to cultivating diversity and inclusion in a positive and supportive work environment where all talent is supported and accorded dignity and respect. We value the contribution that each person makes as an individual, enable our colleagues to be comfortable being themselves, and encourage every person to realize his or her potential.
In 2019, the firm was recognized as one of the “100 Best Companies” by Working Mother magazine, “Top 100 Adoption-Friendly Workplaces” by the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, and Human Rights Campaign’s “Best Places to Work”. The firm also received Mansfield Plus Certification for promoting diversity in leadership.
To foster community, provide training and mentoring, and promote career advancement, the Firm supports a variety of affinity and resource groups. They are:
- ACCORD (Attorney Community Championing Our Racial Diversity)
- Parents Network
- Pride (LGBT Attorneys)
- VALOR (Veterans and Affiliates Leadership Organization)
- WISE (Women’s Initiative for Success and Empowerment)
As part of the firm’s commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, we award 1L Diversity and Inclusion Scholarships and Fellowshipsto highly-qualified first-year law students who have demonstrated their commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion in the legal profession.
Professional Development and Training: The firm invests significant resources in the development of our attorneys to ensure that they are, and continue to be, leaders in their legal and business markets. The firm strives to provide a comprehensive approach to associate career development and advancement through:
- Formal training in legal and core skills with in-house programs and external continuing legal education (CLE) options;
- On-the-job experience through work assignments, pro bono cases, and observational opportunities of more experienced attorneys; and
- Career development through retreats, formal mentoring programs, and guidance from three highly-skilled career development counselors.
Summer Associate Program: We hire Summer Associates with the expectation that they will be invited to join us as associates after law school. Summer Associates at Arnold & Porter experience first-hand the firm's strong commitment to excellence, diversity and inclusion, pro bono work, and professional development. Our Summer Associates choose us because of:
- The depth and breadth of the practice areas we offer and the ability to try a variety of practice areas over the course of the summer.
- The firm’s unwavering commitment to pro bono and diversity and inclusion.
- The small size of our Summer Associate class in comparison to similarly sized firms.