Why Work Here
Our attorneys and professional staff make the firm a truly special place. We value the contribution that each person makes as an individual. We enable our colleagues to be comfortable being themselves and encourage every person to achieve his or her potential. This approach fosters a rich, diverse, and collegial firm culture that inspires innovation and creativity.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
The firm is committed to cultivating a positive and supportive work environment where all our colleagues are accorded dignity and respect. We value each person’s contributions, empower our colleagues to be comfortable being themselves, and encourage every person to realize his or her potential.
Arnold & Porter regularly provides opportunities to engage and learn through formal and informal educational programming that deepen our community’s understanding on a variety of topics. The following are highlights of some of our recent programs:
- Peaceful Protest Q&A with Arnold & Porter Partners
- Change the World: Ten Rules for Allyship and Justice with Michelle Silverthorn
- In the Balance: The Promise of Title VII and the LGBTQ Community with Lambda Legal
- To the Stars: A Conversation with Pioneering Actor and Social Justice Activist George Takei
To foster community, provide mentoring, and promote career advancement, the Firm supports affinity/resource groups including:
- ACCORD (Attorney Community Championing Our Racial Diversity)
- BLAC (Black Lawyers of ACCORD Caucus)
- A&PCares (Parents and Caregivers)
- Pride (LGBTQ Attorneys)
- VALOR (Veterans and Affiliates Leadership Organization)
- WISE (Women’s Initiative for Success and Empowerment)
Additionally, Chairman Richard Alexander recently announced the firm’s commitment to driving systemic change and promoting the recruitment, retention, and advancement of racially/ethnically diverse attorneys in the legal profession as well as social justice initiatives.
At Arnold & Porter, we are client-driven and industry-focused. Our lawyers practice in more than 40 integrated practice areas across the litigation, regulatory and transactional spectrum to help clients with complex needs stay ahead of the global market, anticipate opportunities and address issues that impact the very value of their businesses.
Our Commitment to Pro Bono and Public Service
Arnold & Porter has one of the world’s leading law firm pro bono programs. Our pro bono commitment is part of the fabric of the firm and is one reason why many of our attorneys have made the firm their professional home. We encourage all attorneys to work on at least one pro bono matter every year, and to devote up to 15% of their total hours to pro bono legal work. In 2019, our attorneys devoted over 115,000 hours to a wide range of pro bono work.
The firm secured several groundbreaking victories in 2019, including more than $2 million in compensatory and punitive damages for Planned Parenthood; a landmark state court victory in a North Carolina redistricting lawsuit; and an immigrant rights victory in the high-profile 2020 census case.
In 2020, the firm has handled myriad cases ranging from issues stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic to matters dealing with racial justice and freedom of speech:
- Working with the James Beard Foundation to offer pro bono assistance to restaurant worked who have lost jobs or had hours reduced following business closures in the wake of COVID-19
- Partnering with a number of civil rights organizations to sue President Trump, Attorney General Barr, and others for civil rights violations stemming from the tear-gassing of peaceful protestors at Lafayette Square Park and
- Partnering with the ACLU of Colorado to file a lawsuit against the City and County of Denver on behalf of Black Lives Matter 5280 (BLM 5280) and individual plaintiffs who were injured by police while protesting police violence in late May and early June.
- Representing pro bono client the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law to sue Postmaster General DeJoy and other officials for disrupting the 2020 Election Cycle.
- Partnering with the National Association of the Deaf to file a lawsuit to compel President Trump and the White House to immediately begin providing American Sign Language interpreters during television broadcasts of their coronavirus press conferences and briefings.
Our Summer Program
Our summer program provides summer associates with exposure to the substantive skills they will use in practice, the firm’s core values, the meaningful work that we do for our commercial and pro bono clients, and the opportunity to engage and connect with attorneys and summer associates across the firm.
We hire summer associates with the expectation that they will be invited to join us as associates after law school. Summer associates at Arnold & Porter experience first-hand the firm's strong commitment to excellence, diversity and inclusion, pro bono, mentoring, and professional development. Our Summer Associates choose us because of:
- The depth and breadth of the practice areas we offer and the ability to receive assignments in a variety of practice areas over the course of the summer.
- The firm’s unwavering commitment to pro bono and diversity and inclusion.
- The small size of our Summer Associate class in comparison to similarly sized firms.
Summer Associate Testimonials
“My experience with the summer associate program was so enjoyable and valuable to me. I worked on interesting and diverse assignments, connected with many attorneys throughout the firm, and contributed to pro bono cases. In the midst of difficult times, I appreciate having had the opportunity to learn and grow as a future attorney in such a welcoming environment.” - 2020 DC Summer Associate
“In light of all the challenges, A&P still managed to put together an amazing summer program. I was able to connect with attorneys, learn about practice groups, and most importantly, I learned about A&P’s firm culture. Overall, it was a great experience.” - 2020 LA Summer Associate
“With so many organizations canceling their programs due to COVID-19, the fact that A&P adapted and designed such a thoughtful and rewarding remote summer experience says a lot about the values of the firm. The entire team was professional, kind, and committed to making our summer a success.” - 2020 NY Summer Associate
“Arnold & Porter exceeded my already high expectations. The firm does high-quality work in a ridiculous number of practice areas, has very strong niche practices related to government and international affairs, and is filled with genuinely nice, friendly, and approachable people. It's Type A+ work without Type A+ personalities or egos.” - 2020 SF Summer Associate
How the Firm has Adapted Since the COVID-19 Public Health Crisis
- Arnold & Porter represented AstraZeneca in agreements for the funding and global distribution of the University of Oxford's potential COVID-19 vaccine by mid-2021. In connection, the firm has also represented AstraZeneca in the establishment of its global manufacturing and supply chain for this vaccine. Through execution of these agreements, AstraZeneca has taken the next steps in its commitment to broad and equitable global access to the Oxford COVID-19 vaccine throughout the world, at no profit during the pandemic.
- Daily Meditation: Brian Israel, chair of the firm’s environmental practice, has led daily meditations channeling meditation master Deepak Chopra for the firm and friends. This has been a great way to connect with lawyers and staff while working remotely and to help relieve stress in these uncertain times.
- The firm offered all attorneys and staff IT hardware and office supplies to create a more complete home office.
- Summer Program: The firm hosted a 5-week remote summer program which was an immersive learning experience that provided Summer Associates with the ability to get to know our firm, our attorneys, and our commercial and pro bono practices. The program was designed with multiple layers of connectivity in mind: full-scale trainings, small working groups, and one-on-one experiences.
- COVID Task Force and Advisories: To guide our current and potential clients through this crisis, Arnold & Porter has established a multidisciplinary Task Force with crisis management, regulatory, litigation and transactional expertise. As a firm, we are uniquely positioned to assist clients facing diverse challenges, whether it is labor and employment, supply chain interruptions, government contracts, privacy, or bankruptcy and restructuring, just to name a few. Our Task Force is co-chaired by Paul Fishman, head of the firm's Crisis Management and Strategic Response practice, and Kristin Hicks, a partner in our Life Sciences and Healthcare Regulatory group.