2022 Vault Rankings
- Pro Bono#7
At a Glance
“Complexity of the work and training.”
“Unpredictability of workstreams.”
“The overall stress of the job field.”
About Ropes & Gray
With 11 offices across the U.S., Europe, and Asia, Ropes & Gray is an international firm that prides itself in handling cutting-edge work. A regular atop legal industry rankings, the firm is adept at assisting clients in complex, highly regulated industries like asset management, health care, life sciences, private equity, and technology.
A Tale of Two Harvard Grads
John Codman Ropes and John Chipman Gray, a couple of Harvard Law School grads, founded the firm in Boston in 1865. The Great Depression saw the firm develop its bankruptcy practice, the New Deal sparked the firm’s labor practice, and the creation of the SEC added financial reports to its services. By the 1960s, the firm had grown to nearly 75 attorneys. Today, the firm is home to more than 1,400 lawyers advising across 60-plus practice areas.
Boardrooms and Courtrooms
While its practice is wide ranging, Ropes & Gray is best known for its work in private equity. Ranked among the top 10 in Vault’s Private Equity practice area ranking, the firm’s private equity practice has also been recognized by the likes of Chambers USA, IFLR1000, The Legal 500 U.S., and U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms.” The firm has claimed Law360’s honor of Private Equity Practice Group of the Year seven times. To summarize, Ropes & Gray is a private equity powerhouse. With around 180 lawyers focused on the practice, the firm assists private equity clients with acquisitions, compliance matters, financings, and more.
Ropes & Gray also boasts a strong asset management practice, combining the firm’s deep experience in hedge funds, private investment funds, and registered funds. The firm is particularly attuned to evolving trends and regulatory matters. Offering a multi-disciplinary approach, Ropes & Gray assists asset management clients in a range of areas, including business restructuring, compliance, labor and employment, M&A, and securities litigation—to name some.
On the litigation side, Ropes & Gray is home to around hundreds of litigators whose work is wide ranging. The firm has been recognized time and again for its work in privacy and data security, securities litigation, and white collar defense. Of particular note, the firm smashed ground as co-counsel in the marriage equality case Obergefell v. Hodges before SCOTUS, which extended marriage rights to same-sex couples across the United States.
Ropes & Gray develops deep ties with its lawyers for the length of their careers—from starting as summer associates to exploring opportunities outside of the firm. Notably, many attorneys return to the firm—more than 50 attorneys have returned to the firm since January 2012. These “re-ttorneys” bring valuable experiences back to the firm after stints in-house, within government, or elsewhere. But as some attorneys return, others launch. The firm’s GO (“Global Opportunities”) program offers firm lawyers the opportunity to work in a new city at one of the firm’s other offices or temporarily for one of the firm’s clients.
As a global firm, Ropes & Gray is used to working remotely. We still actively engage with law students over virtual platforms like Skype and Zoom, and we continue to speak on panels, host presentations, and conduct informational and formal interviews. To provide a rewarding summer program during the pandemic, the firm emphasized “live” and online trainings covering practice groups, legal skills and pro bono. A key element of the program was a four-week mock M&A transaction, which simulated the complexity of a public deal and partnered summers with senior attorneys. To offer exposure to a variety of practice areas and lawyers, we assigned small groups of summer associates to “pods” of partners, counsel and associates spanning different practice groups. Summer associates also experienced client work through pro bono assignments, introducing them to a key element of our firm culture.
News & Awards
- Represented almost every major COVID-19 vaccine manufacturer in bringing successful vaccines and testing to the general public. Ropes & Gray’s world class Health Care, M&A, Capital Markets and Life Sciences practices advanced the work that delivered vaccines to market and saved lives.
- Steered the $40 billion merger to take Grab Holdings Public in 2021, one of the biggest deals of the year. Grab, whose app has been downloaded millions of times, offers a wide range of on-demand services in Southeast Asia, including mobility, food, package and grocery delivery services, mobile payments, and financial services across 428 cities in eight countries.
- Represented Dunkin’ Brands in its $11.3 billion Sale to Inspire Brands. The transaction is one of the largest consumer brand deals in 2020 and the largest restaurant industry deal in over five years.
- Won Obergefell V. Hodges, the landmark marriage equality case at the U.S. Supreme Court in 2015.
- #2 Law Firm in the U.S. for Private Equity by Deal Count, 2021—Mergermarket
- Top Law Firm for COVID-19 Response, 2020—Financial Times Innovative Lawyers
- The A-List, #2 Overall, 2020—The American Lawyer
- A Top Law Firm for Women Lawyers,” 2019, 2020—The National Law Journal
- Practice Groups of the Year, Honored 20 times over a decade—Law360
800 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02199-3600
Phone: (617) 951-7000
Chairperson: Julie Jones
Managing Partner: David Djaha
Hiring Partner: Peter Erichsen
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
1K - 1.5K
No. of Partners Named 2020:
Base Salary (2021)
1st year: $205,000
2nd year: $215,000
3rd year: $240,000
4th year: $275,000
5th year: $305,000
6th year: $330,000
7th year: $350,000
8th year: $365,000
9th year: $375,000
Summer Associate: $3894.23/week
Senior Manager of Legal Personnel and Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 6
No. of International Offices: 5
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
Washington, DC I Hong Kong
Data, Privacy & Cybersecurity
Litigation & Enforcement
Mergers & Acquisitions
Real Estate Investments & Transactions
Securities & Public Companies
Tax & Benefits
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.