WHO WE ARE: A CULTURE OF EXCELLENCE, RESPECT AND COLLABORATION
Consistently ranked as one of the top law firms to work for, Ropes & Gray has a supportive, collaborative culture that enables associates to take on interesting and challenging work across a variety of leading practice groups throughout the United States and around the world.
OFFICES WITH A GLOBAL REACH
RANKINGS & AWARDS
The American Lawyer A-list | #2 in 2017
Financial Times Innovative Lawyers
North America | 2011-2017
Asia | 2014, 2016 – 2017
High 2019 rankings in numerous categories:
Formal Training #1
Firm Culture #3
Pro Bono #6
Diversity for LGBT #6
Best Law Firms for Women, Top 10 | 2017, 2018
Practice Group of the Year for Asset Management and Private Equity | 2017
Investment Funds Client Service Award | 2017
National Law Journal
Pro Bono Hot List | 2017
The American Lawyer Global Awards
M&A Deal of the Year | (South Korea, United States) 2016
U.S. News & World Report Law Firm of the Year
Mutual Funds Law | 2018
Private Funds/Hedge Funds | 2013 – 2015, 2017
Chambers Diversity Awards
Pro Bono Program of the Year | 2016
BTI Law Firms with the Best Associates | 2017
Selected as one of eight firms
WHAT TO EXPECT
The vast majority of entry-level attorneys at Ropes & Gray start their careers at the firm as summer associates, which is why we structure our 10-week summer program to offer a realistic sense of daily life at the firm. Summer associates handle challenging work on actual client matters as part of a comprehensive program designed to offer both professional and personal growth.
Training and Development
Ropes & Gray associates can count on the firm to help them enhance their professional development. We provide:
- Career Support Each associate is assigned an associate development partner (ADP), who works closely with the appropriate practice group associate development manager (ADM) to support each associate’s development and advancement.
- Challenging Work We offer associates exposure to numerous partners and progressively greater responsibilities, with ADPs and ADMs collaborating to ensure that each associate receives a steady stream of work and real-time performance feedback.
- Training Resources We offer hundreds of training programs every year, including practice-specific training camps for new associates, associate cohort retreats, and management and leadership conferences. Our training, ranked number one by Vault, provides the resources to help our associates develop the skills and legal knowledge to become the best lawyers possible.
- Global Opportunities We created the GO (Global Opportunity) program to give our lawyers a chance to immerse themselves in a new culture or city by working in one of our 11 offices worldwide—or, on a temporary basis, with one of our clients.
- Flexible Careers Our Flex program allows lawyers to explore different professional paths through a flexible work arrangement (FWA). Each FWA—which can last from months to years—is customized to the needs of the lawyer and the practice group. FWAs may incorporate flexible scheduling, reduced time commitment and/or remote work.
- Re-ttorney Program We developed the re-ttorney—returning attorney—program to demonstrate that we welcome conversations with attorneys who left the firm for worthwhile professional or personal reasons and are interested in returning. It includes a comprehensive plan for reintegrating attorneys into offices and practice groups.
To learn more about working at Ropes & Gray, please visit our Legal Recruiting website.
A Commitment to Public Service
Ropes & Gray’s public service commitment is a hallmark of the firm, rooted in the example set by the firm’s founders 150 years ago. Pro bono work is truly a firmwide endeavor, supported by the energy and creativity that each of our 11 offices across the globe contributes to public
service. From securing asylum for endangered immigrants to helping people keep their homes to winning the release of the wrongly convicted to arguing the landmark marriage equality case, Obergefell v. Hodges, before the U.S. Supreme Court, Ropes & Gray strives to provide the highest level of pro bono legal advice and support to those who need it most.
For an in-depth look at Ropes & Gray’s recent pro bono work, and the ways in which we invest in our people and our communities, please see our Practice with Purpose brochure.