Sidley is one of the world’s premier law firms, with a practice highly attuned to the ever-changing international landscape. The firm has built a reputation for being a powerful and insightful legal adviser for global businesses, with more than 1,900 lawyers in 20 offices worldwide. In 2016, Sidley marked the 150th anniversary of the founding of our firm. This milestone serves as a reminder of our long-standing commitment to legal excellence and to delivering successful results for clients in all types of legal matters—from complex transactions to high-profile litigation to innovative regulatory issues to pro bono representations that help those in need. We provide extraordinary opportunities for summer associates and associates to assist our clients with these important matters and to grow professionally in a team-oriented environment with an unparalleled firm culture.
LEADERSHIP IN LAW
We are proud of the range and caliber of the clients we serve. Many of our clients—from financial institutions and investment banks to Fortune 500 companies, hedge funds and private equities—are household names and at the forefront of their respective industries, professions and markets. Our success is born as much out of knowledge of the law as it is out of the strong relationships we build with our clients.
The firm strives to maintain an environment focused on teamwork and cooperation, and values the skills and knowledge that each individual brings to a project. Our lawyers and professional staff collaborate at all levels and treat each other with genuine respect. We believe our culture sets us apart from many other firms and enhances the experience, development and career satisfaction of our lawyers and staff alike.
- 72 Fortune 100 companies were Sidley clients during 2015
- 1 of 3 law firms to be ranked in the BTI Client Service 30 every year since 2001
- The most first-tier national rankings – U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Survey, 2011–2016
Our reputation for excellence is built on a foundation of hiring the best people and providing them with outstanding training and support. We are dedicated to enhancing the career satisfaction and ongoing development of our associates and experienced lawyers. In 2016, Chief Learning Officer magazine named Sidley to its annual list of the LearningElite. We have received this prestigious honor every year since its inception in 2011 and remain the only law firm to have earned this recognition.
We invest significant time and resources into recruiting the next generation of Sidley lawyers. Our summer associate program provides individuals an exceptional opportunity to further develop their skills and to gain a realistic view of law firm life while working alongside some of our best and brightest lawyers. Associates who join the firm are offered an attractive and competitive salary and extensive benefits package that provides a variety of choices to meet their needs. Our associates also have access to comprehensive resources to assist them in reaching their professional goals, including programs by an award-winning training team, practice group-sponsored training and individual partner commitment to teaching, mentoring, coaching and career guidance.
Here’s what some of our recent summer associates and associates had to say about what they love about Sidley:
- “I focused on two qualities while evaluating law firms: content and culture. Sidley undeniably works on the most sophisticated, complex content with first-rate clients. Importantly, I chose Sidley because its culture fosters collegiality, excellence and balance. I couldn’t be happier.”
- “Sidley has proven to be a superb place to begin my legal career. The partners at the firm take an interest in helping associates develop their legal skills from day one.”
- “What really struck me was the fact that all of the lawyers I worked with were willing to take the time to provide feedback and mentor. My summer experience confirmed that Sidley is an excellent place for young lawyers.”
A RECORD OF RESULTS
- “Law Firm of the Year” in Environmental Law and Securities Regulation categories – 2017 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” survey
- Named a Top Three “Litigation Powerhouse” by Law360
- 2016 Financial Services & Securities Regulation Team of the Year – Chambers USA
- Firm of the Year in four categories: Life Cycle, General Patent Litigation, Product Liability and Regulatory – 2016 LMG Life Sciences Awards
- 2016 Real Estate Firm of the Year – China Law & Practice
- Investment Funds Law Firm of the Year 2016 – Asian Legal Business
- 2015 Practice Group of the Year in Energy, Environmental, Health and Life Sciences – Law360
- USA Law Firm of the Year and Global Trade & Customs Law Firm of the Year – 2015 Who’s Who Legal Awards
- 2015 Finance Team of the Year – The Lawyer Awards
- Product Liability Firm of the Year – 2015 Benchmark Litigation U.S. Awards
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Sidley has long been a pioneer in workplace diversity and inclusion initiatives. We are committed to hiring, training, and promoting outstanding lawyers who reflect the global marketplace and communities that we serve. Our ongoing efforts to become a more diverse organization include a Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship for second-year law students, as well as a Prelaw Scholars Initiative, which helps to build the pipeline of diverse lawyers entering the profession. We are also proud to be one of the first law firms to participate in the OnRamp Fellowship, a program designed to facilitate the re-entry of experienced female lawyers into the legal profession after time out of the workplace.
- Perfect 100 score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index for the tenth straight year; designated as a 2017 “Best Place to Work for LGBT Equality”
- Most Pioneering Firm for Female Lawyers – 2016 Chambers Diversity Awards USA
- 50 Best Law Firms for Women, 2016, Working Mother magazine and Flex-Time Lawyers
- 2016 25 “Best Law Firms for Overall Diversity,” Vault
A TRADITION OF SERVICE
Our lawyers and staff devote more than 100,000 hours to pro bono projects annually, and play a vital role in people’s lives throughout the world. We have also maintained a long-standing commitment to volunteering our time and resources to many causes that assist those in need. This includes working in local schools, colleges and law schools, helping individuals and families who are homeless, providing gifts to needy children over the holidays, and supporting nonprofit and legal services organizations, such as Chicago Cares, New York Cares, United Way, the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, and Cycle for Survival.