Skip to Main Content


Certification, Licensing, and Special Requirements

Certification or Licensing

Actuaries must be licensed by either the Society of Actuaries (SOA) or Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS). Full professional status in an actuarial specialty is based on completing a series of nine to 10 examinations, depending on the specialty. SOA certifies actuaries in the fields of life insurance, health benefits systems, retirement systems, and finance and investment. CAS gives a series of examinations in the property and casualty field, which includes automobile, homeowners, medical malpractice, workers compensation, and personal injury liability. Success is based on both formal and on-the-job training.

Join Vault Gold to unlock this premium content

Earnings - Outlook - Resources & Associations and more

Are you a student? You may have FREE access.

Vault partners with thousands of colleges, universities and academic institutions to provide students with FREE access to our premium content. To determine if your school is a partner, please enter your school email address below.