2020 Vault Rankings
Internships at Reynolds American Inc can lead to a successful and rewarding career at a global organization. In fact, some of the company’s current vice presidents began their career journey as interns. Reynolds American Inc. takes great care to shape an internship experience that’s meaningful, challenging and memorable. Internships are professional experiences in which interns’ insights, contributions and energy are valued by the teams of which they’re a part. Interns are empowered to make a difference from the very ﬁrst day they join the team. Participants will have the chance to exercise initiative, work with their peers to develop creative solutions to problems; and interact with leadership throughout the organization.
TRADE MARKETING INTERNSHIP
This position is with RAI Trade Marketing Services Company — the operating company which represents RAI’s entire portfolio of brands.
Trade Marketing Interns will have the opportunity to learn about product sales and distribution, Consumer Marketing Brand Strategies, effective consumer engagement, and tobacco product awareness. Under the guidance of Trade Marketing mentors, interns will be tasked with calling on established traditional and nontraditional retail outlets, building outstanding relationships with store managers/owners, and actively promote the marketing mix and drive performance against assigned quantitative and qualitative sales goals and brand building measures. The Intern will also develop a strategic business analysis project to address real business opportunities.
NON-TRADE MARKETING INTERNSHIPS
Assist the function in delivering creative and innovative solutions through a project to achieve maximum business benefit across every facet of RAI and its operating companies. Summer interns will have Winston-Salem based assignments.
Interns are provided with challenging project assignments with opportunity for significant exposure to other company functions. Previous interns have:
- Engaged with key stakeholders in the Information & Digital Technology function to understand our cloud based environment from both a technical & functional perspective and developed a long term management action plan that significantly reduces the associated costs;
- Researched the Vapor category specific to e-liquids, the consumer journey, and made recommendations on business initiatives;
- Engaged with cross-functional teams and external stakeholders to develop/evolve the ecommerce consumer retention program;
- Identified the most appropriate marketing strategies to support expansion for new category products;
- Influenced strategic direction on how to effectively communicate with moist snuff consumers using technology and new marketing methods;
- Developed a post-engagement communication plan to foster interaction across web, email and direct mail touch points.
- Maximized efforts to engage Adult Tobacco Consumers (ATCs) for brands through thoughtful integrated promotion
- Created a centralized code repository for 3rd party web development to be managed internally by RAI thus mitigating the risk associated with the disjointed methods imposed by the individual interactive agencies;
- Researched, analyzed and recommended processes for both the Information Management and Research & Development teams to maintain the technical environment and relevant documentation for R&D instrumentation and labs.
- Engaged with key stakeholders in Strategy & Planning, Consumer Marketing, Trade Marketing and Finance functions to gain foundational category knowledge;
- Performed a market basket analysis of the nicotine category for key customers;
- Reviewed market data obtained from a new data source and utilized it to analyze and better understand consumer purchasing patterns;
- Leveraged market basket analysis to capture new insights around nicotine category trends and overall consumer purchasing dynamics;
In addition, all interns, both Trade Marketing and Non-Trade Marketing, will:
- Spend time with C-Suite leadership during a series of leadership roundtable events
- Gain insight into what it’s like to work for a global organization, and learn more about global development opportunities and career pathways at RAI
- Collaborate directly with experienced professionals on a challenging and meaningful project
- Present findings and recommendations to functional leadership teams and key personnel.
Requirements for internships vary depending on if it is for an undergraduate student, graduate student, or an internship in a science function. Below are the general requirements:
- Minimum academic requirements: 1 year of college
- Minimum academic year: 1 year of college
- Minimum age:
- o 18+ for all roles except Consumer Marketing and Trade Marketing
- o 21+ for Consumer Marketing and Trade Marketing roles
- Time commitment: 10 weeks
- Driver’s license: Driver’s license is only required for Trade Marketing internships
- U.S. citizenship: Not required (permanent residents are also eligible with work authorization. Temporary visa holders not eligible).
- Field of study:
- o Varies by area, function, and internship
- Technical skills and experience:
- o MS Office desktop proficiency and overall business savvy
- o Varies by area, function, and internship
- Soft skills and personality traits:
- o A highly collaborative, team player, who’s focused on results
- o A creative self-starter with strong strategy development and planning skills
- o Wants to fully understand and embrace consumers and their values
- o Has superior verbal and written communication skills
- o Is focused on developing excellent leadership and influencing skills
- o Excellent interpersonal skills
Why Intern Here
Our interns quickly learn what it means to work at a global level. They’re not only exposed to the real-life challenges of our business, they help us solve them. In fact, many have built long-term careers here, even rising to become Executive Vice Presidents. You’ll be challenged and, in return, you’ll receive career development support and an outstanding experience at an innovative and transformative global company.
Throughout the rigorous 10-week program, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with skilled experts and mentors across our organization—from finance and operations to marketing, R&D, and more. You’ll build relationships at every level and develop fundamental professional skills, and have a fun time doing it.
Reynolds American Inc.
401 N Main Street
Winston Salem, NC 27101-3804
Number of Interns: 101 or more
Duration: 6 to 12 weeks; The program length is 10 weeks, beginning in June.
Academic Level: College Juniors, Graduate Students, Business School Students, Law School Students
Degree Track: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Juris Doctor, Master of Arts, Master of Business Administration, Master of Science, Doctor of Philosophy